The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can Standing Committee become Officers Temporarily?

Guest Laura

Can the standing committee members become officers temporaily to prevent the non-profit organization closing?  I read their bylaws and policy manual, nothing stated.  I have asked around people to see if they are interested in running as officer at the conference in a couple of months. 

I am concerned that this nonprofit organization probably will not have any new elected officers upcoming conference. 

3 hours ago, Guest Laura said:

Can the standing committee members become officers temporaily to prevent the non-profit organization closing?

Certainly these persons may be elected to become officers through the procedures in your organization’s rules at the time of regular elections, or through the procedures used to fill a vacancy if the offices may become vacant. They would not be “temporary,” although they certainly could resign when other persons are found to serve, if they wish to do so.

If you mean something else by this question, or if there is something else I should be aware of, please clarify.

3 hours ago, Guest Laura said:

I am concerned that this nonprofit organization probably will not have any new elected officers upcoming conference. 

Well, first, try and find people who are willing to serve so that does not happen.

As to what happens in the event the society fails to elect officers, please provide the language in your bylaws concerning the term of office, as well as any language relating to filling vacancies.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.