The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Forum software update to version 4

3 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

At least for me, the button at the bottom of the screen that says "Next unread post" no longer indicates the name of said post, and it used to.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice that. Unfortunately, the developers did it on purpose, claiming that this feature can slow the servers too much.

18 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

Edited to add: Actually, it is not working correctly, I think. The button appears whether there is or is not a next unread post; if there isn't one and I click it, I get an error screen.

I find that happening exclusively in the Advanced Discussion forum. Interestingly enough (or maybe not interesting at all), previously I found that forum always indicated there were unread posts, even after I had read them all.

1 hour ago, Tom Coronite said:

previously I found that forum always indicated there were unread posts, even after I had read them all.

That's because it's common for threads to be moved from Advanced to Basic, and if there are any unread posts on a thead that is moved (i.e. any posts you haven't read), from that point on, the Advanced Forum will show up bold on the main page, as if it still had unread posts. You can eliminate that by clicking "mark site read." 

3 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

That's because it's common for threads to be moved from Advanced to Basic, and if there are any unread posts on a thead that is moved (i.e. any posts you haven't read), from that point on, the Advanced Forum will show up bold on the main page, as if it still had unread posts. You can eliminate that by clicking "mark site read." 

Ah! That makes sense. I will wonder no more. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 1:54 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice that. Unfortunately, the developers did it on purpose, claiming that this feature can slow the servers too much.

That does cause a problem for me and I wonder if we can ask the developers to consider reversing or adjusting that decision. I have been using that feature to go back and review the threads and discussions before I joined the Forum. I had gotten to somewhere in 2016 before this change and now cannot track that back.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.