Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest BCBC ?

Vote of Acclamation

Recommended Posts

Guest BCBC ?

Can there be any dissent in a vote of acclamation, and the motion carry?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Guest BCBC ? said:

Can there be any dissent in a vote of acclamation, and the motion carry?

Perhaps you had better explain what you mean by a "vote of acclamation". As far as the rules in RONR are concerned, election by acclamation doesn't involve any voting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest BCBC ?

In a recent nomination for a position within our organization, rather than following Robert's Rules as required by the bylaws, a motion was made and seconded to have the nomination approved by a "vote of acclamation".

The bylaws provide that 85% approval of the attending body is required for nomination to be approved. 

 

The meeting went forward with no counted vote. There were voices and opposition at the time of the vote of acclamation...the chair concluded the motion for nomination carried with some dissent. The nominee was offered the job.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the chair made a hash of it all, but since no one raised a point of order when the chair declared that "the motion for nomination" (whatever that is) carried, then it carried. If the result of adopting such a motion means that the nominee should be offered the job, then all's well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Well, the chair made a hash of it all, but since no one raised a point of order when the chair declared that "the motion for nomination" (whatever that is) carried, then it carried. If the result of adopting such a motion means that the nominee should be offered the job, then all's well.

I agree, assuming the bylaws do not require a ballot vote.

Edited by Josh Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 12:41 PM, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Well, the chair made a hash of it all, but since no one raised a point of order when the chair declared that "the motion for nomination" (whatever that is) carried, then it carried. If the result of adopting such a motion means that the nominee should be offered the job, then all's well.

Or given the situation, perhaps a Division of the Assembly before a Point of Order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2019 at 2:18 PM, Guest BCBC ? said:

In a recent nomination for a position within our organization, rather than following Robert's Rules as required by the bylaws, a motion was made and seconded to have the nomination approved by a "vote of acclamation".

The bylaws provide that 85% approval of the attending body is required for nomination to be approved. 

 

The meeting went forward with no counted vote. There were voices and opposition at the time of the vote of acclamation...the chair concluded the motion for nomination carried with some dissent. The nominee was offered the job.

 

 

Any time the announcement, any member may doubt the result and demand a rising vote, and if close, a counted vote.  But if everyone just sat there and consented to the announcement of the chair, there's little that can be done at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...