The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaw motions

Guest Heather

You can move them all together, but if there is any objection they'll need to be considered one at a time (i.e. they may be divided at the demand of a single member, to the extent they are independent). If they're bylaw changes recommended by an attorney, they might not turn out to be all that popular and separate consideration may be wise anyway.

I will mail,  30 days before, a booklet listing each motion of bylaw as it written currently and as it is proposed.  

If I state in booklet "All bylaw motions,  recommended by attorney, which have been approved by the Board, will come to the membership as one motion and vote, unless requested otherwise." Am I good? 

Just trying to avoid spending hours reading and counting for each motion while adhering to Roberts rules. 

I think that language is contradictory. What you're trying to do is fine, but I'd suggest fine tuning the language. As written, it says that multiple motions will be one motion, which is a contradiction in terms. Perhaps something like "proposals A-Z will be moved in a single motion. They may be divided at the demand of a single member." But, again, stay tuned for others who may say I'm off-base here.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.