The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Posters

Yes.  For one thing you won't have to deal with that pesky CAPTCHA test every time you want to post something.  Also, you can edit your posts where a guest can't (I'm not sure if the recent issues with regular posters being able to edit has been resolved).   One other plus, though it is more for the other posters than it is for you, is if you plan to contribute regularly having an account allows others to see your post count.  If I were new to the forum with little knowledge about parliamentary procedure (and the resumes of people who contribute here)  I would probably lend more credence to the reply of someone who has posted here hundreds or thousands of times over someone who is posting as a guest. 

I agree completely with the comments by Mr. Harrison.  Additional benefits of being a member of the forum  are that you can elect to receive notifications when someone replies in a thread you have started or commented in and you have the ability to see, at a glance, which threads you commented on have additional comments.  It is also easier to go directly to new comments.  Another big advantage is the messaging feature that members can use.  We can message each other directly outside of the comments.   All in all, it is much easier to use the forum and you gain the respect of others when you post as a member using your real name. There is more incentive to be accurate when you know that you will be held  accountable among your peers if you provide incorrect information than if you are posting anonymously and won't suffer any consequences in the parliamentary community for providing incorrect information.  Posting correct information and asking questions in your real name is an excellent way to gain respect in the parliamentary community and among your peers on the forum.

Just now, Mike Phillips said:

Do the moderators ever approach Guests who post regularly but don't bother to set up an account? 

I don't know, but I have seen some of them, particularly one of the moderators, post comments to the effect that he has more respect  for those who  post using their real names.  After he made that comment about a year ago, several posters (well, a few) who had been posting anonymously or using fictitious names "came out of the closet" and started posting using their real names.  I believe that every one of them is glad they made the change.   I know I am happy about it and have more respect for every one of them. 

17 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

If I were new to the forum with little knowledge about parliamentary procedure (and the resumes of people who contribute here)  I would probably lend more credence to the reply of someone who has posted here hundreds or thousands of times over someone who is posting as a guest. 

I remember that Mr. Mountcastle was so adamant about not exeeding 5000 posts he posted his next 5000 or so as a guest.  :)

8 minutes ago, Guest Zev said:

I can assure you without any fear of equivocation that the sting of the ad hominem attack, which I have had to endure on occasion, is much less when my pseudonym has to suffer it rather than my real identity.

But you can just register as Zev.  Full names aren't required.  Just ask J.J.  :)

1 minute ago, George Mervosh said:

But you can just register as Zev.  Full names aren't required.  Just ask J.J.

You are absolutely correct. Thank you for that. However, it is not a requirement in my case and I have come this far, so I might as well just keep on going. Perhaps I will change this on some future occasion.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.