The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion Reversion Assumption - two voting entities

James67

Hi folks,

We have two distinct groups that have been asked to vote on a shared governance document that will apply to both groups. Here is the timeline:

1. In December 2018, Group A amended then approved the amended document.
  2. In February 2019, Group B amended Group A's document then approved the amended document.
  3. In March 2019, Group A was asked to vote on Group B's amended document. The vote failed (i.e., Group A voted No).

Can one assume that Group A's amended document from December 2018 is still valid and can be ratified by Group B or do both groups need to vote again? There do not appear to be any relevant bylaws that apply to this situation.

Thanks in advance!

Since this deals with a government function, at least indirectly, seem that a lawyer shoud be brought in on this.

Off the top of my non-legal head, I'd say the groups had better come to  total agreement on just one document or else arguments over the differences will come up, for sure.

A start would be a joint meeting - sort of like an RONR "Mass Meeting" - to hash out the differences.  Or a joint committee as in congress.

Edited by jstackpo
Added suggestions

2 hours ago, James67 said:

Can one assume that Group A's amended document from December 2018 is still valid and can be ratified by Group B or do both groups need to vote again?

Yes, I think that, at least as a parliamentary matter, Group A’s document is still valid and can be ratified by Group B if it wishes to do so.

46 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

Off the top of my non-legal head, I'd say the groups had better come to  total agreement on just one document or else arguments over the differences will come up, for sure.

Yes, there does not seem to be any dispute on this point. The OP’s question was whether Group B may now ratify the document Group A adopted in December 2018 without amending it (assuming it wishes to do so), without requiring a further vote from Group A.

Based on the facts provided, I see no reason why not, since it appears that the version of the document adopted in December 2018 is still valid so far as Group A is concerned.

If Group B is not willing to adopt the document adopted by Group A without amendments, then further negotiations will be required.

Edited by Josh Martin

14 hours ago, James67 said:

Thanks folks,

I'm guessing it is also a correct assumption that if Group A doesn't want Group B to ratify the Dec 2018 document, they should vote to rescind?

Yes, if Group A no longer supports the document it adopted in December 2018, then it should use a motion to Rescind or to Amend Something Previously Adopted.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.