The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Seating of Voting Delgates and Alter.

Tina Marie

I am preparing for an annual meeting and noticed we have a rule that is "per Robert's Rules of Order" alternates will not be seated with delegates. 

I ask because I have spent my lunch correcting other miss quotes that are in our meeting packet (ie our by laws ask for a form for a motion and that was not included). 

Please advise if I am missing something. I would be GLAD to not find another error!

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Tina Marie said:

I am preparing for an annual meeting and noticed we have a rule that is "per Robert's Rules of Order" alternates will not be seated with delegates. 

I ask because I have spent my lunch correcting other miss quotes that are in our meeting packet (ie our by laws ask for a form for a motion and that was not included). 

Please advise if I am missing something. I would be GLAD to not find another error!

Thanks!

"Status and Seating of Alternates; Replacement Procedure. Alternates registered as such are usually provided with badges of a different color or shape from those of delegates and are seated in sections apart from them."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 604

Your rules may provide otherwise.

22 hours ago, Tina Marie said:

Thanks!

Well, it says they "usually" are seated separately, but it's not exactly a rule in RONR. It may be a rule in your rulebook.

4 minutes ago, George Mervosh said:

That's an interesting way to read that quote.

If by interesting you mean erroneous, I have to admit there's another way to read it.  But if the OPs rules say it is so "per RONR" I would not quarrel with the fact that it is true "per RONR".  And the society would be free to adopt such a requirement even if RONR was silent on the issue.

20 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

I'm having trouble seeing how to read it as a "must" rule. In fact, I'm having trouble seeing how to read it as a rule at all, rather than a descriptive statement. Nonetheless, it's a good idea.

I agree.  That is my interpretation, too.  I think it is describing a custom more than creating a rule.  At most, I think maybe it is a "should" rule rather than a "must" rule.

If convention attendees all had similar badges and sat together presiding officers may have a hard time distinguishing delegates from alternates during voting. Perhaps there is a way of controlling such a thing and I would not mind hearing from someone that has attended one of the major party's conventions to reveal how they dealt with this.

Define "major." 😉 The conventions I've attended did not, in my view, have a good system for dealing with alternates - they had different colored badges, but sat with state delegations. But it was also very easy, under the rules, for an alternate to become a delegate, and then they'd have the wrong badge.

I've been parliamentarian for state conventions, though, that handled it better - they had better rules, and it's easier with a smaller group. The largest I worked had a section of the room for alternates, and had a credentials desk for badge swapping when an alternate stepped into a delegate position.

44 minutes ago, reelsman said:

I think the main thing is to keep alternate delegates separate from the voting members to prevent illegal votes by illegal voters.

Agreed, but it's challenging on a voice vote. It's also challenging on division when the alternates are mixed in and sometimes have the wrong badges (i.e. are seated but still have alternate badges).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.