The Official RONR Q & A Forums

allowed discussion or questions from audience

Guest Johnny

Absent a superior rule to the contrary, people who are not members of the body which is meeting, in this case the board, have no right to speak whatsoever except by permission of the board. The board can generally set whatever limits and conditions it desires on such comments.

That is sometimes handled by the adoption of a rule regarding comments by non-members and other times is handled on a case-by-case basis. Non-members can be permitted to speak with a majority vote or by unanimous consent.  such requests are often handled by the chair without objection.

Non-members may be granted the right to participate in debate by suspending the rules which requires a two-thirds vote.

Note some state laws require that certain bodies, such as homeowner associations, permit people who are members of the association, but not of the board, and an opportunity to address the board at board meetings.

Edited to add: non-members who violate the rules or cause a disturbance may be ejected upon order of the chair, but a member may object to the removal and require a vote. In such a case, the guest can be ejected by a majority vote.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Only members of the body which is meeting have any rights.  So at a Board meeting only Board members have any rights (unless your rules say otherwise of course).  Assuming these people are Board members the default speaking time is twice per question per day with 10 minute speeches (your rules may say otherwise).  If a member is using profanity the Chair or another member can call him or her to order.  As for "bullying their point of view" that is a very subjective thing.  A member can strenuously advocate for their position from one meeting to another while following the rules and proper decorum and that wouldn't necessarily be "bullying."

1 minute ago, Chris Harrison said:

As for "bullying their point of view" that is a very subjective thing.

Agreed. Interesting story: at a New England town meeting, a committee put forward a proposal (which I opposed vigorously, and ultimately defeated in my elected capacity). The first speaker in debate proceeded to call the committee names, make allegations about committee members arranging favorable deals for their children (unrelated to the matter at hand) and so on. There was only one microphone, and the chair couldn't hear if you didn't use a mic. I walked around to the other side of the microphone and raised a point of order, at which point, right into the microphone, he threatened to punch me for "sneaking up behind him." I made sure the First Selectman (my campaign partner, who was also Chief of Police) had heard him and left it at that. 

• 2 years later...
Guest Interested party
On 7/14/2021 at 11:14 PM, Guest Trifacto said:

What if it's the other way around? What if a Board member calls out and attacks an audience member by name. Does the audience member have a right to respond or do they have to sit there and take it?

I’d like to know this as well. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.