The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Election of officers and invalid votes

Drake Savory

I seem to remember that in RONR invalid votes are counted towards determining a majority when voting for officers.  So let's say A is running against B and no write-in votes are permitted.

A receives 10 votes, B receives 8 votes and C receives 4 write-in (invalid) votes.  A is not elected since they did not receive a majority of the 22 votes.  Am I imagining that rule or is it in RONR?

If one or more ballots are identifiable as cast by persons not entitled to vote, these ballots are excluded in determining the number of votes cast for purposes of computing the majority. If there is evidence that any unidentifiable ballots were cast by persons not entitled to vote, and if there is any possibility that such ballots might affect the result, the entire ballot vote is null and void, and a new ballot vote must be taken.

RONR 11th edition page 416. My emphasis.

Illegal votes (unintelligible ballots, ballots cast for an unidentifiable or ineligible candidate) are counted as votes cast, but not credited to any candidate or choice. (cf p 416, lines 2-5)

maybe that's what Drake Savory has in mind?

Edited by Tom Coronite

3 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

RONR 11th edition page 416. My emphasis.

The question was not about people ineligible to vote, but about voters who cast votes for people ineligible to receive votes.  In this case I believe the ballots would be included in the total, and would affect the number needed to elect.

2 hours ago, Drake Savory said:

YES!!!!!!

So in my scenario is it true that A did not win as he did not get a majority of votes cast?

Maybe.

Is this a hypothetical, or did this actually occur?  If it did, what did the chair announce as the result of the election, and was any point of order raised at the time? 

I don't believe the fact that write-ins were not allowed would affect the result, however (though I still wonder what would prohibit them).  Whether the four votes were invalid or were counted as valid votes for one or more other candidates, the number required to elect would still be 12.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.