The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Written motion

Guest Joseph

A written motion was given to the committee chair prior to the meeting. Once new business was opened the chair asked the person who gave him the written motion if he, the chair, could read it and permission was given. The chair read the motion, asked for a second, which was given, and then opened floor to discussion. Once discussed the motion was voted on and passed. Is this a legitament motion or should it be voided for improper procedure?

I'm not sure what you think was potentially not "legitimate." There are some technical issues. But since the matter, whatever it was, was adopted by vote of the committee - and no one appears to have raised any points of order or contested the vote - then it stands as an action of the committee.

1 hour ago, Plplr8ball said:

Members who disagreed with the motion want raise points of order on it at the next meeting. 

A Point of Order regarding what?

2 hours ago, Guest Joseph said:

A written motion was given to the committee chair prior to the meeting. Once new business was opened the chair asked the person who gave him the written motion if he, the chair, could read it and permission was given. The chair read the motion, asked for a second, which was given, and then opened floor to discussion. Once discussed the motion was voted on and passed. Is this a legitament motion or should it be voided for improper procedure?

I don’t see anything improper about the procedure described above, and I certainly don’t see anything which is so improper that it would constitute a continuing breach.

2 hours ago, jstackpo said:

Too late for that -- RONR page 250. 

Perhaps. If this is a real committee and their recommendation has not yet been made to the parent assembly, they may have another meeting and rescind or modify their recommendation or generate a minority report. In the assembly as members they can debate the question and present their views, but they cannot say anything about what took place in the committee meeting.

3 hours ago, Guest Joseph said:

should it be voided for improper procedure?

What specifically do the opponents think was improper? What rule would they say was broken? I, and apparently the others who have replied, do not see any breach of the rules. And we definitely do not see any continuing breach that would justify a point of order being well taken at the next or any subsequent meeting.

1 hour ago, Guest Zev said:

Perhaps. If this is a real committee and their recommendation has not yet been made to the parent assembly, they may have another meeting and rescind or modify their recommendation or generate a minority report. In the assembly as members they can debate the question and present their views, but they cannot say anything about what took place in the committee meeting.

Yes, but Dr. Stackpole was saying that it was too late to raise a Point of Order, and based upon the facts presented, I agree completely.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.