The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Wording of Motion for Title Change of CEO

Guest Sherri

I need help with the wording of a motion to change the title of the leading executive. We want to ensure this covers changing the title of the existing person in the position and any written documents. Will this work?

I make a motion that effect this ___________ day of ___________, 2019 the title of the position of Executive Director of the Community Foundation Alliance, Inc., be changed to the President and CEO of The Community Foundation Alliance, Inc.  As such all existing document, contract, or employment references of the Community Foundation Alliance, Inc., to the position of Executive Director will from this day forward be synonymous with and known as President and CEO. Additionally, the existing individual holding the title of Executive Director of the Community Foundation Alliance, Inc., will hence forth cease to hold this title and automatically assume the title of President and CEO of the Community Foundation Alliance, Inc.

24 minutes ago, J. J. said:

If the title " Executive Director" is established in the bylaws, you can only change this by amending the bylaws. 

And I think the same thing would apply if the organization is incorporated and the title Executive Director is used anywhere in the Articles of Incorporation.

45 minutes ago, Guest Sherri said:

I make a motion that effect this ___________ day of ___________, 2019 

That wording is a bit awkward, though, and I think I would change it to read "I move that effective the ___________ day of ____________, 2019. . . . "

Edited to add: you make a motion by saying "I move that", not "I motion that" or "I make a motion that . . . ."

Edited again to add: what you are asking is really a legal question, not a parliamentary one, so it might be wise to check with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last two paragraphs

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.