The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Influence of the president

Guest Gus

We have a president that can be overbearing, and recently was accused of bullying.

They recently said as a rebuttal to the accusation, and to explain to new board members that they are “just that way” and if they want to use their position of power to influence the rest of the board to think or vote a certain way, they will do that.

We are using small board rules, so they can discuss and vote, but...

is this attitude  in the right spirit of things?

Thanks.

I suppose your organization wanted a bully when it elected him. At the next election, nominate someone who has an attitude "...in the right spirit of things". Meanwhile, the members of the board are going to have to find ways to collaborate with the bully for the sake of the welfare of the organization as a whole.

16 minutes ago, Guest Gus said:

is this attitude  in the right spirit of things?

No. I'm fairly certain that this is not anything General Robert would have done, therefore I would not do it either. There is nothing in these parliamentary rules that requires you or the other board members to suffer abuse in silence. Perhaps this board would consider adopting a motion of censure to send a signal of their displeasure to this president. 

Well, I am not sure what exactly you would propose to censure. So far, about the only thing we have any information about is the person's being "overbearing". What that means we are left wondering. So far as we have any facts, no rules have been violated. Isn't the suitability for office of an "overbearing" person left to the judgment of his electors?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.