The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proper etiquette at business meetings

Guest Dave

Well, they, at a subsequent meeting of the Board or the full assembly, can move to amend or rescind the issue they didn't like first time around (and then speak out in favor of their motion), but meanwhile the majority has spoken so all board members are expected "cheerfully to assist in carrying it [the content of the adopted motion] out" -- RONR introduction page xlix, second paragraph.

I agree with Mr. Stackpole's cheery assessment of the members' obligation when faced with being on the losing side.

I would also like to point out members' obligation not to speak against an action previously taken, unless some motion has been made, or will be forthcoming, to reverse or modify that action. See RONR (11th Ed.), p. 393.

41 minutes ago, Guest Dave said:

When an issue has been voted on by the Board, but not unanimously, can dissenting board members

speak out at a business meeting on that issue?

I take it that the "business meeting" is a meeting of the members.   I also take it that the board members are speaking out on a pending motion, e.g. a motion to approve or rescind  something the board did.

There is no prohibition on a member of the board, who is also a voting member of the assembly, from speaking on the issue, when that issue is pending.  Unless your rules say otherwise, the members of the board need not speak with one voice at a business meeting. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.