Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums

I quit this board!!


Rob Dengler
 Share

Recommended Posts

If a voted in board member gets so upset with an issue that he slams his fists on the table, stands up and says "I quit this board.." and stomps out the door.  are they out?  This happen to a private club I'm on the board of.  Nothing was said about him walking out.  The next month he showed up and made a motion on a very controversial issue that was then voted on and passed.  My question is, is that motion at risk, was he still on the board, could he even make the motion now??   Did he need to follow some procedures to get back on the board?

Looking for some help.

Thank you,

Rob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Rob Dengler said:

If a voted in board member gets so upset with an issue that he slams his fists on the table, stands up and says "I quit this board.." and stomps out the door.  are they out?  This happen to a private club I'm on the board of.  Nothing was said about him walking out.  The next month he showed up and made a motion on a very controversial issue that was then voted on and passed.  My question is, is that motion at risk, was he still on the board, could he even make the motion now??   Did he need to follow some procedures to get back on the board?

Looking for some help.

Thank you,

Rob

It's a stretch to say this was a proper resignation request, but even if you feel it was, he didn't need to do a thing except show up again and participate, which basically withdrew any perceived request.  So he's not out.   See http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#18

Edited by George Mervosh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rob Dengler said:

If a voted in board member gets so upset with an issue that he slams his fists on the table, stands up and says "I quit this board.." and stomps out the door.  are they out?

Only if the board accepts the Request to be Excused from a Duty (which it seems it did not do). A resignation is not final until it is accepted, and until the chair has stated the question on its acceptance, it may be unilaterally withdrawn.

(As Mr. Harrison notes, this assumes that the board is authorized to fill vacancies.)

2 hours ago, Rob Dengler said:

My question is, is that motion at risk, was he still on the board, could he even make the motion now??

No, yes, yes.

2 hours ago, Rob Dengler said:

Did he need to follow some procedures to get back on the board?

No, because he did not leave the board to begin with.

2 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

It's a stretch to say this was a proper resignation request, but even if you feel it was, he didn't need to do a thing except show up again and participate, which basically withdrew any perceived request.  So he's not out.   See http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#18

I disagree that it is a stretch to say this was a proper resignation request. 

“A resignation is submitted in writing, addressed to the secretary or appointing power; alternatively, it may be submitted during a meeting either orally or in writing.” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 291)

As noted above, a resignation may be submitted orally during a meeting, and a statement that “I quit this board” quite clearly sounds like a resignation to me. I agree, however, that the member’s subsequent participation in meetings should be considered a withdrawal of the resignation, which the member is entitled to do because no action has been taken on the resignation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

I disagree that it is a stretch to say this was a proper resignation request. 

“A resignation is submitted in writing, addressed to the secretary or appointing power; alternatively, it may be submitted during a meeting either orally or in writing.” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 291)

As noted above, a resignation may be submitted orally during a meeting, and a statement that “I quit this board” quite clearly sounds like a resignation to me. I agree, however, that the member’s subsequent participation in meetings should be considered a withdrawal of the resignation, which the member is entitled to do because no action has been taken on the resignation.

Ok, ok, I suppose pounding your fists on the table and yelling that you quit technically means he's giving his resignation orally in a meeting, but I'm probably jaded by the fact I've seen it several times and none have ever really meant it as a resignation request.  The outraged member should be very glad our quick thinking friend Mr. Harrison wasn't in the assembly or it's likely he'd have been out if the board had the powers noted above.  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 
 
 
On 5/11/2019 at 10:02 AM, George Mervosh said:

Ok, ok, I suppose pounding your fists on the table and yelling that you quit technically means he's giving his resignation orally in a meeting, but I'm probably jaded by the fact I've seen it several times and none have ever really meant it as a resignation request.  

Oh, yes, I would agree that such dramatic outbursts are commonly intended to create drama rather than to request to be excused from a duty.  And if the desired drama is achieved, such fist pounders are very likely to repeat the performance the next time they do not get their way.

I've also seen it several times, and I can confirm that an effective way of putting a stop to it is to immediately move to accept the resignation.  I've actually done it, and before my motion was seconded, the would-be resignee responded, "Hang on, hang on!  I'm just saying that this is not right."  (And never pulled that stunt again, to my knowledge.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gary Novosielski said:

The above message

In case you haven't tried it, you can select any continuous portion of the message you wish to partially quote, wait a second or two, then click on the little (internal) "quote selection" box.  That is what I did to generate the "The above message" quote just above this text.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

you can select any continuous portion of the message

Yeah, I've used that method as well.  If it works better, I'll switch to it more often.

Edited to add:  Which it apparently does.

Edited by Gary Novosielski
To test things
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was unable to edit a post I made just a few minutes ago.  I first edited by striking through some text and adding a paragraph, but the system would not accept the edit.  I then removed the strikethrough and simply added the new paragraph and it worked.  Something strange is going on with the edit feature.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...