The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion in absentia

Guest JamesMoore

No.  Unless you have a specialized rule allowing it, a member must be physically present in order to make a motion.  However, the member who wants the motion made may have someone else who IS present make the motion if he can find someone willing to do so.  But the member making the motion will be making it as his own motion, not as a motion of the absent member. 

20 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

No.  Unless you have a specialized rule allowing it, a member must be physically present in order to make a motion.  However, the member who wants the motion made may have someone else who IS present make the motion if he can find someone willing to do so.  But the member making the motion will be making it as his own motion, not as a motion of the absent member. 

Can you direct me as to where in RONRvthis is stated? I know that I am going to get some pushback when I bring this up.

39 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

However, the member who wants the motion made may have someone else who IS present make the motion if he can find someone willing to do so.  But the member making the motion will be making it as his own motion, not as a motion of the absent member. 

One thing the member who agrees to present this motion as their own needs to keep in mind is he or she cannot speak against the motion in debate (RONR p. 393).  So, the member needs to be in favor of the motion or at least be willing not to speak against it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.