The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Multiple motion makers allowed?

Guest La Andrew

In our professional association’s biennial membership meeting, members may submit motions ahead of time. We have motions submitted that have multiple members’ names as making the motion or sometimes as seconding the motion. These are not recognized committees making a motion, rather individuals who worked together to develop the motion. Must we restrict submissions to only one name for maker and one name for a second? 

I think the answer is going to depend on what the bylaws actually say about the requirements on individuals submitting motions. Otherwise as far as these rules are concerned a mover and a seconder is enough but not limited to just these two.

I've seen this done quite often, usually done to indicate widespread support for the motion and reflecting consultations that were done before the actual meeting. I have not found any rule in RONR to prohibit it, so if that has become the custom in your organization you're free to continue it. If it is becoming a custom, I see no harm, but others here may.

RONR does say however, that the minutes should only include the name of the mover.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:38 AM, Guest La Andrew said:

The bylaws do not spell out any details for motion submission, they refer back to RONR. (They do list a timeline for motions amending Bylaws, but no other detail.)

If the rules in RONR apply, motions are moved during a meeting, by one member, even if submitted in writing.  If you have no rule in your bylaws allowing motions to be submitted by multiple members, and/or before a meeting begins, these practices would have the status of custom.

RONR says:

If there is no contrary provision in the parliamentary authority or written rules of the organization, the established custom should be adhered to unless the assembly, by a majority vote, agrees in a particular instance to do otherwise. However, if a customary practice is or becomes in conflict with the parliamentary authority or any written rule, and a Point of Order ([§] 23) citing the conflict is raised at any time, the custom falls to the ground, and the conflicting provision in the parliamentary authority or written rule must thereafter be complied with.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.