The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Membership Rights

Guest TennisJC

I am a member of non-profit tennis league.  In order to be a member, one has to pay a league fee twice a year (August and January) and be rostered to a team during both of those league seasons (Fall and Spring).  My team was disqualified according to the league rules with which I do not have an issue.  My issue is that in disqualifying my team before the season was over, all of us on the team no longer were "rostered" so our membership to this organization was null and void causing us to be barred from participation in the annual General Meeting of the organization in which the vote for the Board of Directors is taken.  No recourse is provided in the Bylaws.  My question is should this be better spelled out in the Bylaws so that all members understand what team disqualification means in regard to their "rights" as members of this organization?  Thank you in advance for any light anyone can shed on this matter.

This would not be the first example of poorly drafted bylaws having unintended consequences.  If all you're concerned about is making sure that members understand these consequences, there's no particular need to explain that in the bylaws themselves, since that's already what they say.  It would be sufficient to merely point this out in a memo or newsletter to members, reminding them of this rule.

If, on the other hand, you want to modify the rule to provide a way for people in your situation to retain membership, then it will be necessary to amend the bylaws, which means following your specific procedure, typically contained in the bylaws, providing for their own amendment.

Guest Who's Coming to Dinner

If better phrasing is the issue, then I take it that the bylaws are not clear on the matter. It was quite possibly precipitous (of the board?) to bar you from the annual meeting. Unless the board has exclusive authority over membership issues, the members at the meeting could have moved to countermand the decision and admit you, depending on their interpretation of the rules.

11 hours ago, Guest Who's Coming to Dinner said:

If better phrasing is the issue, then I take it that the bylaws are not clear on the matter. It was quite possibly precipitous (of the board?) to bar you from the annual meeting. Unless the board has exclusive authority over membership issues, the members at the meeting could have moved to countermand the decision and admit you, depending on their interpretation of the rules.

I didn't see any suggestion that it was the Board that made the decision.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.