The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Improper handling

BabbsJohnson

If it is merely discussed to dissolve a committee, but a motion is never made to dissolve it, does the committee still exist?

I’m not sure if it matters, but the discussion was also hard as an unauthorized topic in executive session,  which even if it was an item of business that was voted on, it is my understanding that since it was unauthorized ,it would have been nullified for being dealt with Improperly,  meaning not in open session.

Note: the discussion to end the committees did not have a motion, but the society moved on as if the business of dissolving it had been official.

Edited by .oOllXllOo.
Add note at the bottom

5 hours ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

If it is merely discussed to dissolve a committee, but a motion is never made to dissolve it, does the committee still exist?

Note: the discussion to end the committees did not have a motion, but the society moved on as if the business of dissolving it had been official.

Based on the facts presented, it seems the committee still exists. (I assume that there also was not unanimous consent.)

5 hours ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

I’m not sure if it matters, but the discussion was also hard as an unauthorized topic in executive session,  which even if it was an item of business that was voted on, it is my understanding that since it was unauthorized ,it would have been nullified for being dealt with Improperly,  meaning not in open session.

Since it appears no action was taken in any event, I don’t think it matters.

Whether or not it is correct that an item which is improperly discussed in executive session is “nullified” is a question regarding the applicable law on this subject, and is therefore beyond the scope of this forum.

22 minutes ago, Josh Martin said:

Based on the facts presented, it seems the committee still exists. (I assume that there also was not unanimous consent.)

I just know there was no motion, no vote, and the minutes were approved showing only a mention discussion by the board, and a single board member making an announcement.

13 hours ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

I just know there was no motion, no vote, and the minutes were approved showing only a mention discussion by the board, and a single board member making an announcement.

Based on the facts presented, the board does not appear to have taken any action in regard to the committee.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.