The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unfinished Business

Mike Phillips

Our organization held its annual convention. During the business section, an amendment to the bylaws was properly offered from the floor. It was highly controversial. As it was toward the end of a long day, the body agreed to delegate action on the amendment to the Executive Committee, which met the following day, and then adjourned. At the Executive Committee, after a couple of hours, they had not taken up the amendment, and someone moved to adjourn. The motion to adjourn passed. What's the status of the amendment under RONR? The Secretary just told me it's dead, which is fine by me. The Executive Committee meets twice per year. Kosher or dirty tricks?

Agreeing with Dr. Stackpole, I will add that it would likely have been improper to refer the proposed bylaw amendment to the executive board for actual adoption.  Referring it to the board so that the board can study it and make  a recommendation is ok, but the board is almost certainly not able to actually adopt an amendment to the bylaws, even if the membership referred the question to the board.  The precise wording of your bylaws on amendments to the bylaws must be taken into consideration in making that determination.

16 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

Agreeing with Dr. Stackpole, I will add that it would likely have been improper to refer the proposed bylaw amendment to the executive board for actual adoption.  Referring it to the board so that the board can study it and make  a recommendation is ok, but the board is almost certainly not able to actually adopt an amendment to the bylaws, even if the membership referred the question to the board.  The precise wording of your bylaws on amendments to the bylaws must be taken into consideration in making that determination.

The handling of this matter does seem sloth to me. It seems that there should have been strict adherence to RONR for such a controversial topic. 

I tried to be on guard for weaponizing of RONR to bully the crowd, but based on the responses here, it doesn't appear that this was such an instance. 

Edited by Mike Phillips

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.