The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suggestion for the 12th edition

Guest Zev

The candidate in lowest place may turn out to be a "dark horse" on whom all factions may prefer to agree.

RONR 11th edition page 441 lines 8-10.

This is the one that comes to mind. There may be more. And now that I think of it, perhaps I should have been more helpful by having a comprehensive list at the ready. Yuk.

I understand the concept of what is being suggested, but both examples given are very familiar terms with a long history in America. The same is true of those picturesque military expressions that appear here and there, such as a motion "falling to the ground" like a soldier who has been shot on the battlefield. In all these cases, the average American reader of the book takes a draught of American parliamentary history. I'm in favor of preserving them.

Edited by reelsman

1 minute ago, reelsman said:

I understand the concept of what is being suggested, but both examples given are very familiar terms with a long history in America. The same is true of those picturesque military expressions that appear here and there, such as a motion "falling to the ground" like a soldier who has been shot on the battlefield. In all these cases, the average American reader of the book takes a draught of American parliamentary history. I'm in favor of preserving them.

A potential compromise would seem to be to include definitions of these terms, such as in a footnote.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.