The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest DRM

President resigned now wants to be elected to same position

Guest DRM

Our club president was voted in in February, he resigned in May and the board accepted the resignation. In moving to fill the position, the resigned president now wants to run for the position he resigned from.  Can this be done?

1 hour ago, Guest DRM said:

Our club president was voted in in February, he resigned in May and the board accepted the resignation. In moving to fill the position, the resigned president now wants to run for the position he resigned from.  Can this be done?

He could certainly be nominated.  And even elected if it's okay with a majority of voters.  If not, they will presumably vote for someone else.  I'd have qualms, for sure.

Things would be different if he were removed from office via a discipline process.  Duly imposed discipline may include disqualification from holding office, for a certain period, or forever.  Not to mention expulsion from the board, or from membership. But since he resigned, which is a request to be excused from a duty, and was therefore presumably excused, there's no penalty.

But, colleagues, if there was a vice president in place (and no special rules about presidential vacancies), then the erstwhile v-p is now the president, presumably for the rest of the term, thus no presidential vacancy to fill.

There could be a v-p position vacancy, and the former president could run for that position.

2 hours ago, jstackpo said:

But, colleagues, if there was a vice president in place (and no special rules about presidential vacancies), then the erstwhile v-p is now the president, presumably for the rest of the term, thus no presidential vacancy to fill.

<Slaps head with hard-backed copy of RONR>

That is a very good point!!

3 hours ago, jstackpo said:

There could be a v-p position vacancy, and the former president could run for that position.

They may have some other procedure.

2 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

You really oughtn't engage in this type of abuse (of the book).

7 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

That is a very good point!!

Yes, I missed that as well.  I presumed it was when the next term was about to start.

Apparently the idea that he was trying to get back in immediately was too ridiculous for me even to contemplate. And that's a high bar, trust me.

Yeah, the only vacancy needing filling at that point would be in the VP spot, if the rules in RONR apply.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.