The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Inordinate length of time to make a motion to correct Minutes

Guest Drum-Wilkinson

6 minutes ago, Guest Drum-Wilkinson said:

Minutes from 1948 are being challenged for accuracy in 2019.  Is it appropriate for a motion to be made to correct the early Minutes at this late date for an organization that has met yearly?

I have no idea it it's appropriate.  I suppose it depends on what is proposed to be corrected.

Here is the rule - "If the existence of an error or material omission in the minutes becomes reasonably established after their approval—even many years later—the minutes can then be corrected by means of the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted (35), which requires a two-thirds vote, or a majority vote with notice, or the vote of a majority of the entire membership, or unanimous consent. "  RONR (11th ed.), p. 475     

71 years later is many years later, for sure.

1 hour ago, Guest Drum-Wilkinson said:

Minutes from 1948 are being challenged for accuracy in 2019.  Is it appropriate for a motion to be made to correct the early Minutes at this late date for an organization that has met yearly?

I am skeptical that, as a practical matter, the members of the assembly in 2019 would have any way of knowing whether there is an error in minutes from 1948. As a parliamentary matter, however, the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted may be used for this purpose. There is no time limit.

It should be noted that when corrections are made in this manner (as opposed to corrections which are made at the time minutes are approved), the original text of the minutes is not changed (except perhaps for a marginal notation or footnote), and the correction is noted in the minutes of the meeting where it was made. See FAQ #16.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.