The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Urge board to vote against a motion

Guest Lefty

Can a member of a body urge others to vote against a motion. At a recent meeting I stated that I was going to vote against a motion and urged the other member to also do so. I was told that is not permitted under Roberts rules. I was also told I had to direct my comments to the presiding officer and not the body as a whole.  Is that correct?

What you were told about RONR prohibiting you from urging others to vote "No" is utter drivel.

Whenever someone makes unlikely claims about what is in RONR, be SURE to ask them to show you the rule, page and line number.

What you were also told, "direct your remarks to the presiding officer", is indeed in the book - page 392, line 27  (See -- page and line number!)

The whole purpose of debate is to explain your position and try to convince others to agree with you.

You should not speak directly to other members but direct your remarks to the chair. However, you are perfectly free to say, "Chair, I will be voting against this motion and I urge everyone else to also vote against it for the following reasons..."

Edited by Atul Kapur

13 hours ago, Guest Lefty said:

Can a member of a body urge others to vote against a motion. At a recent meeting I stated that I was going to vote against a motion and urged the other member to also do so. I was told that is not permitted under Roberts rules. I was also told I had to direct my comments to the presiding officer and not the body as a whole.  Is that correct?

It is correct that all remarks must be directed toward the chair, and references to others should be in the third person, preferably using titles and not names.

But the idea that you can't urge other members to join you in opposition to (or support of) a motion is utter nonsense. 

".... For these reasons, I oppose this motion, and I strongly urge my colleagues to do the same." 

No problem whatsoever.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.