The Official RONR Q & A Forums

amendment of minutes

Guest Linda

4 minutes ago, Guest Linda said:

'When someone wants the minutes amended, do they get amended at that time and voted on or amended and read at next meeting for  vote. 

When the minutes are pending, amendments are in order. Each amendment is handled in turn, either by unanimous consent or a majority vote. Once there are no more amendments, the minutes stand accepted - no vote is needed, and there is nothing to be done at the next meeting. The only way to object to the acceptance of the minutes is by saying what's wrong with them (i.e. by moving to amend), so a vote is not in order.

6 minutes ago, Guest Linda said:

Can the meeting continue if the minutes are not voted on from previous meeting?

Yes - and the meeting can even continue if the minutes are unavailable, not accepted for whatever reason, postponed, etc. 

Perhaps it is a minor point that doesn't make much difference and isn't worth arguing about, but  RONR  does not mention accepting or adopting the minutes. It refers only... and repeatedly.. to APPROVING the minutes. In fact, the section in the book starting on page 473 about approving the minutes is titled "Reading and Approval of Minutes".

I quit counting after I found more than two dozen references to approving the minutes and approval of the minutes. I suspect there are about four dozen such references.  I could not find a single reference in the book to adopting or accepting the minutes.

It seems clear to me, for whatever it's worth, that the preferred term in RONR is approval of the minutes, not adopting or accepting the minutes.

For whatever it's worth. :)

2 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

The only way to object to the acceptance of the minutes is by saying what's wrong with them (i.e. by moving to amend), so a vote is not in order.

2 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

Yes - and the meeting can even continue if the minutes are unavailable, not accepted for whatever reason, postponed, etc. 

1 hour ago, Richard Brown said:

Perhaps it is a minor point that doesn't make much difference and isn't worth arguing about, but  RONR  does not mention accepting or adopting the minutes. It refers only... and repeatedly.. to APPROVING the minutes. In fact, the section in the book starting on page 473 about approving the minutes is titled "Reading and Approval of Minutes".

I was actually trying to behave this time. I remembered the general outcry about "adopt," but forgot what the preferred term was. (My apartment is currently packed for my move and RONR is who knows where.) 

And when the minutes are pending (under Reading and Approval of Minutes) the term for "amendments" is actually corrections.

When the minutes are read (or have been distributed in draft form and no member demands that they be read) the chair asks "Are there any corrections to the minutes?  If no member seeks recognition, the chair says "Hearing none, the minutes stand approved as read." (or "as printed").  If corrections are offered, they are typically agreed to by general consent, but if there is disagreement, the matter is settled by majority vote.  When there are no further corrections, the chair announces that the minutes stand approved as corrected.

There is no final vote to approve the minutes. The minutes are required to be approved.  The only way to object is to offer a correction.  When all corrections have been handled (whether agreed to or not) the minutes stand approved.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

3 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I quit counting after I found more than two dozen references to approving the minutes and approval of the minutes. I suspect there are about four dozen such references.

Absolutely amazing. Would you believe that the count is exactly forty-eight, excluding the index? Way to go Mr. Brown!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.