The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voter Eligibility

Guest Greg

Good Afternoon,

Our organization is having a difficult time determining the beginning and end date to determine voter eligibility.   Our election was held in May 2019 and the results are being contested due to the eligibility of one board member.   Here is the language from our bylaws.    Would anyone be able to help us determine the months that should start and end the eligibility period?

SECTION 2. a) Members in good standing shall be permitted to vote at all regular meetings when they have attended and signed in at four meetings over a time period covering no more than four quarters.

I hate to do this to you, but do your bylaws define "in good standing"?  Settle that question and then the calculation of "four meetings in four quarters" shouldn't present much of a problem.  See the footnote on page 6.

I someone actually keeping that close track of your membership attendance?  Sounds like quite a burden.

Thank you for the reply.   Our bylaws do not define "in good standing" which actually defeats the purpose of using that terminology.   You may have given me a good suggestion for the bylaw revision discussion.

The eligibility issue popped up because the organization had co-presidents for the past 3 years and this year they decided to run against each other.   The bylaws do not call for a co-presidency and there were differences of opinion getting in the way.    So, the member that lost the election is now questioning eligibility of someone he feels voted against him.   The vote was 8-7 which is why I am asking for an opinion on months to consider attendance the way our bylaws are written.

30 minutes ago, Guest Greg said:

Good Afternoon,

Our organization is having a difficult time determining the beginning and end date to determine voter eligibility.   Our election was held in May 2019 and the results are being contested due to the eligibility of one board member.   Here is the language from our bylaws.    Would anyone be able to help us determine the months that should start and end the eligibility period?

SECTION 2. a) Members in good standing shall be permitted to vote at all regular meetings when they have attended and signed in at four meetings over a time period covering no more than four quarters.

Were any of the office elections decided by a one vote difference?  Edited to add - I see there was a one vote difference, but we can't help in making the determination needed.

Edited by George Mervosh

Every time this society conducts a meeting it must look at the attendance record of all members during the last four quarters and by visual inspection or otherwise determine if the member has attended four meetings. So the end date is the date of the previous meeting and the start date is four quarters before that.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.