The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Requiring a member to leave the meeting hall

mjhmjh

Suppose that according to the procedures on and before page 647, following the offender being named, a member moves "That [name of the offender] be required to leave the meeting hall during the remainder of the meeting." What would the threshold for this motion be?

Alternatively, suppose that a member moves "That the rights of membership of [name of the offender] be suspended for a period of __ days." What would the threshold for this motion be?

Edited by mjhmjh

On the demand of a single member -- other than the named offender, who is not considered to be a voting member while his case is pending -- the vote on imposing a penalty must be taken by ballot, unless the penalty proposed is only that the offender be required to leave the hall for all or part of the remainder of the meeting. Expulsion from membership requires a two-thirds vote.

RONR 11th edition page 647-648.

Both cases require a majority vote. Had the suggested penalty been expulsion it would have required a two-thirds vote as the text indicates. The section referred to is about offenses during a meeting. If the offense occurred other than a meeting then a trial is required as indicated on pages 649 and following. Also, be aware that a board may not expel a member (p. 486), and a committee may only request that the assembly impose a penalty (p. 501) with the single exception mentioned on lines 21-26.

3 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

Also, be aware that a board may not expel a member (p. 486),

That's not necessarily true, for a couple of reasons.  First, I believe that section is referring to offenses occurring in a board meeting.  Second, and regardless of my previous sentence, a board may indeed expel a member if the bylaws grant  the board that authority. It is not unusual for organizations, especially large ones and some professional societies, to grant their boards of directors the authority (sometimes even the sole authority) to handle all disciplinary matters, including  expulsion.

17 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

That's not necessarily true, for a couple of reasons.  First, I believe that section is referring to offenses occurring in a board meeting.  Second, and regardless of my previous sentence, a board may indeed expel a member if the bylaws grant  the board that authority. It is not unusual for organizations, especially large ones and some professional societies, to grant their boards of directors the authority (sometimes even the sole authority) to handle all disciplinary matters, including  expulsion.

Well, that sentence on page 486 is referring to offenses occurring during a board meeting, but there should be no doubt but that the executive board of an ordinary society cannot expel a member unless the bylaws very clearly grant it that authority.

1 minute ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

Well, that sentence on page 486 is referring to offenses occurring during a board meeting, but there should be no doubt but that the executive board of an ordinary society cannot expel a member unless the bylaws very clearly grant it that authority.

I think that's what I said.

26 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

That's not necessarily true, for a couple of reasons.  First, I believe that section is referring to offenses occurring in a board meeting.  Second, and regardless of my previous sentence, a board may indeed expel a member if the bylaws grant  the board that authority. . . .

Yep.  That's what I said.  :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.