The Official RONR Q & A Forums

PTO appropriations committee?

Guest Guest

We are forming a PTO at a new school.  The executive committee would like to have an appropriations committee to determine how money, given to the school, can be spent.  I cannot find any information about guidelines for this (besides in Congress) -- we envision this committee consisting of three non-board members (but members of the PTO), an administrator of the school, the president, the treasurer, the vice president of fundraising and a couple teachers.  Any suggestions of where to look for guidance?  And, do suggestions/recommendations from the committee need to be voted on by the executive committee or the general membership?  Thank you for your help.

A few thoughts:

* typically, after a PTO gives money to the school, the money is then the school's money. Do you mean that you want a committee to review school funding requests, and see which ones the PTO wishes to handle?

* at a school that my children attend, the teachers/staff of the school put together proposals for projects/requests (usually a one page form and some support materials), then these go to the board first to review, and then are voted on at a general meeting.

* if there are other projects the PTO would like to see put into place, this would be proposed at a general meeting, and then (eventually) decided on at a general meeting. 

*  I would suggest that funding decisions be made by the general membership rather than the executive committee, but check to see what your bylaws say  / write some bylaws about this. 

My answer may be different if this is more a private type of a school, one where the parents are funding more of it.

37 minutes ago, sMargaret said:

A few thoughts:

* typically, after a PTO gives money to the school, the money is then the school's money. Do you mean that you want a committee to review school funding requests, and see which ones the PTO wishes to handle?

* at a school that my children attend, the teachers/staff of the school put together proposals for projects/requests (usually a one page form and some support materials), then these go to the board first to review, and then are voted on at a general meeting.

* if there are other projects the PTO would like to see put into place, this would be proposed at a general meeting, and then (eventually) decided on at a general meeting. 

*  I would suggest that funding decisions be made by the general membership rather than the executive committee, but check to see what your bylaws say  / write some bylaws about this. 

My answer may be different if this is more a private type of a school, one where the parents are funding more of it.

Thank you so much!  You brought up very good questions AND very good points!  I will mention these at our next planning meeting (or GroupMe thread!).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.