The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Are the Duties of the Chair absolute, or negotiable?

BabbsJohnson

The duties and role of the chair as defined in RONR-are they negotiable? 

I believe I have been told they can be modified with a special rule or order, is that the case?

Are there any duties of the chair that you, as parliamentarians, would say are important enough to never "get rid of"?

Can the duties of the chair ever be expanded, say to resemble more of a monarch or leader, instead of a manager of communication and keeper of order?

45 minutes ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

The usual meaning of the word "negotiable" would imply that the chairman would give something up in return for something else. The problem is that there is no method for a single individual to keep such a deal between himself and the chairman. If I were a member of the assembly the vesting of any of the chair's authority to someone else would be fraught with dangers.

50 minutes ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

I believe I have been told they can be modified with a special rule or order, is that the case?

This appears to be true, yet as of this moment I cannot think of a case where limiting the chair's authority makes any sense since the number of things the chair does and how it affects the flow of business has been time-tested and is well-known, and the abuse of that authority can also be dealt with. Perhaps an example might help.

52 minutes ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

Are there any duties of the chair that you, as parliamentarians, would say are important enough to never "get rid of"?

I think that the list of eleven items on pages 449-450 is exceedingly reasonable and I would not want to get rid of any of them.

58 minutes ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

Can the duties of the chair ever be expanded, say to resemble more of a monarch or leader, instead of a manager of communication and keeper of order?

Yes. In fact we see references frequently on this forum, that at least for me, makes it clear that many organizations follow a form of the "Führer Prinzip" to their own hurt and all the problems that flow from it.

1 hour ago, Guest Zev said:

I think that the list of eleven items on pages 449-450 is exceedingly reasonable and I would not want to get rid of any of them.

If a new chairman was elected, and knew nothing of RONR, but had just gotten the book, would you say studying those 11 duties were the first thing they ought to do?

10 hours ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

I don’t know what you mean by “negotiable.”

Yes.

All of the duties of the chair need to be performed by somebody. :)

Conceivably, I suppose they could be broken up into different people. Alternately, all of the duties of the chairman could be performed by someone other than the President, thus separating the duties of the presiding officer and whatever other duties the organization has given the President.

This is too general a question to say much more. Do you have a specific example?

So far as RONR is concerned, the organization can adopt whatever rules it wants, so long as it follows the proper process for doing so and those rules do not conflict with even higher-level rules, such as applicable law. So yes, an organization could conceivably expand the duties of the chair (or more likely, the President, since I imagine the society would not want such expansive duties to transfer to a temporary chairman) to “resemble more of a monarch or leader.” Depending on what exactly is involved, some of this may need to go in the bylaws.

7 hours ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

If a new chairman was elected, and knew nothing of RONR, but had just gotten the book, would you say studying those 11 duties were the first thing they ought to do?

Yes.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.