The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Practice Forum

Mike Phillips

Is anyone aware of the existence of an audio or video forum for learning and practicing RONR? It would be super useful to be able to observe the correct application of the rules in real time. I have to confess that I am having a hard time learning Robert's Rules. I don't know if it's the writing the style or what, but I'm trying to study a rule per day, which has turned out to be an overly aggressive schedule based on the amount of time I have to spend. Case in point: There are a LOT of pieces to Rule 13. Without seeing them put into use, it's really hard to visualize some of the circumstances where they would be applied.

I'm really interested in getting the RONR CD, but with new rules possibly coming out in the not-too-distant future, I hate to spend the $75 and end up with an outdated version. If I go ahead and get the CD, can I copy and paste the rules, on at a time, into a Word document? Breaking some of the rules into bite-sized pieces might help me digest them. (I bought the loose leaf version thinking it was larger pages, but it's the standard version with the spine removed and a spiral binding installed. It's not very user friendly for me.)

Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations you have will be appreciated. I don't have a deadline for completion, and I'm making progress, but I'd like to progress as efficiently as possible. 

What do you mean when you refer to rule 13? Are you referring to section 13? Are you using RONR? RONR  is divided into sections, not rules.

You might go to the NAP website (National Association of parliamentarians) at  parliamentarians.org, and look at the offerings in the bookstore. They have several publications and CD-ROMs which can be very helpful in learning RONR and studying for both the basic membership test and the registration exam

6 minutes ago, Richard Brown said:

What do you mean when you refer to rule 13? Are you referring to section 13? Are you using RONR? RONR  is divided into sections, not rules.

You might go to the NAP website (National Association of parliamentarians) at  parliamentarians.org, and look at the offerings in the bookstore. They have several publications and CD-ROMs which can be very helpful in learning RONR and studying for both the basic membership test and the registration exam

Yes, section 13 (just as an example.) See what I mean? 

Mr. Phillips, in addition to RONR in Brief, which contains most basic rules you need to know for most meetings, I recommend Robert's Rules for Dummies by C. Alan Jennings, a respected PRP (Professional Registered Parliamentarian).  It is currently in its 3rd edition.  Personally, I like the 1st edition because of its simple, folksy writing style, but it is based on the 10th edition of RONR and does not contain as much material as the 3rd edition.  The 3rd edition has been expanded significantly.  Note:  it is a book ABOUT RONR and is not intended to be a parliamentary authority.  It can be a big help in understanding the rules in RONR.  It is very true to RONR and you will not find any contradictions....  unlike most other books on parliamentary procedure or Robert's Rules.

As to which basic rules it is most important to learn, I suggest that you use one of the study guides for the NAP basic membership test which can be found on the NAP website.  If you learn what is needed to pass the NAP membership test, you will have a good working knowledge of the fundamentals of parliamentary procedure.  Note:  NAP actually offers two membership tests:  The new test is based on RONR in Brief.  The older test is based on RONR.  It may be harder to find on the website, but I like it better.  If you can't find it, one of us can help you.

If you're goal is to become an RP then you should start by preparing for and taking the NAP membership exam, as explained by Mr. Brown, since they're the ones who give courses towards becoming an RP.

I will mention that there is another organization of parliamentarians that also offers education, such as correspondence courses, and certification. That is the American Institute of Parliamentarians (www.aipparl.org). Both organizations have local membership groups where people meet to learn and share knowledge about parliamentary procedure.

Mr. Phillips, if you're still following this thread, I would suggest you start answering the questions on this forum, being careful to add citations. Over the years, I have learned a ton on this forum. Mr. Honemann has been very patient with me. Truly, I cannot think of a better "live" experience than this forum.

9 hours ago, Joshua Katz said:

I've heard that AIP holds an educational conference involving simulations.

Yes, a "practicum." The conference involves didactic learning teaching by lectures and small group sessions in the morning and practical sessions in the afternoon, divided by level of experience/comfort. Next one will be in Jan/Feb.

Edited by Atul Kapur
See posts below

1 hour ago, Atul Kapur said:

Yes, a "practicum." The conference involves didactic learning in the morning and practical sessions in the afternoon, divided by level of experience/comfort. Next one will be in Jan/Feb.

I ain't never going to nothing called a "practicum" involving "didactic learning". 

4 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I ain't never going to nothing called a "practicum" involving "didactic learning". 

3 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I belong to both NAP and AIP, but I'm about to have to look up the terms "practicum" and "didactic learning".  I figured a "practicum" was just a fancy word for a conference with workshops. 

Apparently the word is used differently in medical teaching or, more likely, misunderstood by myself. :) I've tried to improve my language in the original post.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.