The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nursing homr council

Guest DCMerkle

I was just voted in as vp on resident council in a nursing home. I have been President of an association in a senior disabled building. I followed roberts rules in a general form for those meetings. Just the basic informal foundation to keep the meeting and body in order. With the nursing home it's run pretty loosely.We basically have just theo President and my position. The council falls under the activity dept. The director runs the meeting and is both secretary and treasurer.  Should I push for more of a bacic formal or keepp it at the status quo?

The

Donna M.

The reason for formality is by using certain parliamentary expressions alert the members of the assembly as to where they are in the process of the consideration of a motion, and also to keep the discussion within the boundaries of decorum in order to prevent the meeting from devolving into shouting matches or getting distracted from the ultimate goal. If this society is well-behaved and the chairman is able to dispatch the business in good order then it would appear that no adjustments are needed. In larger meetings or meetings in which disorder may erupt then stricter observance of the formal rules may be called for.

And another reason is efficiency (although Zev implied that by writing "able to dispatch the business in good order").

Insist (particularly in a contentious situation) on strict adherence to the standard parliamentary rules and you will all get out of the meeting MUCH sooner than otherwise. And do what needs to be done in the process.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.