The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rules

R.S.M

Is RONR included in the bylaws, or the laws, that established the board, as in...

Article #
Parliamentary Authority

“The rules contained in the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised shall govern the Society in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws and any special rules of order the Society may adopt.”

Of course, another term than “Society” may be substituted that more appropriately describes the particular organization. Pay particular attention to the footnote on page 580 of RONR (11th ed.) if your organization is incorporated.

The assumption, in the US anyway, is that a body, that has adopted no parliamentary rules, when meeting to do official business will follow the "common parliamentary law (CPL)" in doing that business.  RONR is most likely the best expression available of what the CPL actually is, so go ahead and table something (following RONR, page 209) if appropriate.

You would be wise to adopt RONR as your CPL rule book to avoid arguments over details in the future.  Bring us your questions!

Edited by jstackpo

45 minutes ago, Rodney Minton said:

This board was a utilities board with nothing governing the meetings. We hadn't to date established any Rules, and I was wondering if there is no rules how would you table something?

I concur with Dr. Stackpole, but I would add the following links for further research, since the motion to Lay on the Table is frequently confused with other motions. See FAQ #12 and FAQ #13.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:50 PM, Rodney Minton said:

This board was a utilities board with nothing governing the meetings. We hadn't to date established any Rules, and I was wondering if there is no rules how would you table something?

If this is a state-established Board of Public Utilities, then it is a virtual certainty that there are statutes and regulations that apply.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.