Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Chair Adjourning Meeting


Guest John
 Share

Recommended Posts

All,

First Question: If a motion to adjourn is made by a member and is seconded, can the Chair refuse bring the motion to adjourn before the assembly?  

  • Per RONR pg. 241 Lines 28-29 it appears the motion is privileged and therefore undebatable, so the Chair must bring put the question to adjourn to the assembly?  Is that correct? 

The first question is posed as during a meeting a motion was made to adjourn by a member and seconded and the assembly voted to adjourn before any business was discussed (which was really the only reason for the meeting).  It appears that Chair and some others did not want to discuss (or eventually vote on the issues on the agenda). 

Second Question: Can a motion to adjourn be bought at anytime during a meeting even if the business of that meeting has been discussed and brought before the assembly? 

If there are specific sections in RONR that address these issues could you please respond with where I can find the guidance.

Thanks to all for the input!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Guest John said:

The first question is posed as during a meeting a motion was made to adjourn by a member and seconded and the assembly voted to adjourn before any business was discussed (which was really the only reason for the meeting).  It appears that Chair and some others did not want to discuss (or eventually vote on the issues on the agenda). 

Well, it appears that a majority of the meeting did not want to discuss it, as it passed. This is within its rights: "regardless of whether business is pending, a majority should not be forced to continue in session substantially longer than it desires" (p. 233, lines 24-26)
So the answer to Q2 is "pretty much," but see next paragraph.

Answer to Q1 is No, unless (a) a motion to Fix the Time To Which to Adjourn is pending, or (b) the Chair believes it is being renewed for obstructive purposes (p. 240, lines 12-27), or (c) the Chair rules that the motion is out of order for another reason (p. 39, lines 8-11)
"In principle, the chair must state the question on a motion immediately after it has been made and seconded, unless he is obliged to rule that the motion is out of order or unless, in his opinion, the wording is not clear."  and see lines 12-16 for more on why motions would be out of order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Guest John said:
  • Per RONR pg. 241 Lines 28-29 it appears the motion is privileged and therefore undebatable, so the Chair must bring put the question to adjourn to the assembly?  Is that correct? 

 

I agree with Dr. Kapur, but I'd point out that this is the wrong reasoning for a correct conclusion. The chair is not at liberty to decide not to put any made and seconded motion before the assembly, so long as the motion is in order. It is not because the motion is privileged or undebatable, but simply because it is in order, and it is the chair's job to put in order motions before the assembly.

Also, not all privileged motions are undebatable.

3 hours ago, Guest John said:

Second Question: Can a motion to adjourn be bought at anytime during a meeting even if the business of that meeting has been discussed and brought before the assembly? 

 

I don't understand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...