Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest Scott

Succession in light of multiple resignations

Recommended Posts

Guest Scott

In our club the President and Vice President both resigned.  Our by-laws state:

'Section 3. Vacancies. Any vacancy occurring among the Officers or Governors shall be filled for the remainder of that term of office by a majority vote of the Board: except that a vacancy in the office of President shall be filled automatically by the Vice President and the resulting vacancy in the office of Vice President shall be filled by the Board.

Give that the by laws don't address anything beyond the VP succeeding the president, does Roberts provide for a further line of succession?  We have the following officers, President, VP, Rec Sec, Corr Sec and Treasurer.

If there is no outlined order of Succession, who should become president and VP or what is the method for determining this

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Guest Scott said:

In our club the President and Vice President both resigned.  Our by-laws state:

'Section 3. Vacancies. Any vacancy occurring among the Officers or Governors shall be filled for the remainder of that term of office by a majority vote of the Board: except that a vacancy in the office of President shall be filled automatically by the Vice President and the resulting vacancy in the office of Vice President shall be filled by the Board.

Give that the by laws don't address anything beyond the VP succeeding the president, does Roberts provide for a further line of succession?  We have the following officers, President, VP, Rec Sec, Corr Sec and Treasurer.

If there is no outlined order of Succession, who should become president and VP or what is the method for determining this

thanks

Since your bylaws address the office of President and VP,  I don't understand your question, and beyond that RONR contains no succession order for the other offices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be super formal about it: you now have a VP vacancy which you can fill by a Board vote. When you do, that person will immediately become president, automatically. Then you just have another board vote to (re)fill the just vacated VP position.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jstackpo said:

To be super formal about it: you now have a VP vacancy which you can fill by a Board vote. When you do, that person will immediately become president, automatically. Then you just have another board vote to (re)fill the just vacated VP position.  

Since they have neither president or vice president at the moment is it really necessary, from an RONR perspective, to follow this procedure, or couldn't the board just elect both a president and a vice president with one vote?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Guest Scott said:

In our club the President and Vice President both resigned.  Our by-laws state:

'Section 3. Vacancies. Any vacancy occurring among the Officers or Governors shall be filled for the remainder of that term of office by a majority vote of the Board: except that a vacancy in the office of President shall be filled automatically by the Vice President and the resulting vacancy in the office of Vice President shall be filled by the Board.

Give that the by laws don't address anything beyond the VP succeeding the president, does Roberts provide for a further line of succession?  We have the following officers, President, VP, Rec Sec, Corr Sec and Treasurer.

If there is no outlined order of Succession, who should become president and VP or what is the method for determining this

thanks

Section 3 clearly states that the offices should be filled by a majority vote of the Board.  Since both the President and VP both resigned, the succession rule cannot be applied, and there is no further order of succession.  

So, the Board fills the vacant offices for the unexpired remainder of the terms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 22, 2019 at 3:33 PM, Bruce Lages said:

Since they have neither president or vice president at the moment is it really necessary, from an RONR perspective, to follow this procedure, or couldn't the board just elect both a president and a vice president with one vote?

Sure, but doing it in steps might keep the strict parliamentary fussbudgets placated, and give the board more opportunities for nominations in case the elections were contested.  The final choice of VP might be contingent on who was initially selected as president.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...