The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Disruption by non-member and member

Guest Irritated by idiots

Guest Irritated by idiots

At a recent meeting, as a committee chairman, I had the floor. As a spoke, I was rudely interrupted with a personal attack by a non-member, then additionally by her boyfriend who is a member. Their comments disrupted the meeting, were personal in nature and completely out of line.

My question is regarding how to proceed within Robert's Rules of Order.

I've seen this woman at many meetings and she has never been introduced as a guest. I would like to make a motion that she be excluded from any further meetings. Would this follow the Rules of Order? I'd also make a motion that the member be censured.

I'd appreciate some direction in the matter. Thank you

And in regards to the boyfriend, since the violation of decorum occurs in a meeting, as chairman you can suggest what punishment you think appropriate and put it to a vote. See "Breaches Of Order By Members In A Meeting," page 645. No formal trial is necessary.

5 hours ago, Guest Zev said:

And in regards to the boyfriend, since the violation of decorum occurs in a meeting, as chairman you can suggest what punishment you think appropriate and put it to a vote. See "Breaches Of Order By Members In A Meeting," page 645. No formal trial is necessary.

In a committee, the punishment may limited to ordering the member from the room. 

On 7/27/2019 at 8:55 AM, Guest Irritated by idiots said:

At a recent meeting, as a committee chairman, I had the floor. As a spoke, I was rudely interrupted with a personal attack by a non-member, then additionally by her boyfriend who is a member. Their comments disrupted the meeting, were personal in nature and completely out of line.

My question is regarding how to proceed within Robert's Rules of Order.

I've seen this woman at many meetings and she has never been introduced as a guest. I would like to make a motion that she be excluded from any further meetings. Would this follow the Rules of Order? I'd also make a motion that the member be censured.

I'd appreciate some direction in the matter. Thank you

If  I'm reading that right, you were not presiding at the meeting, but were giving the report of a committee.

Is that correct?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.