The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Hypothetical Limit on Debates and/or comments

Tomm

Quite a long discussion.

My take is that the rule in the bylaws, since it confers a right upon non-members of the board who are members of the society, may not be suspended.  However I do not think that the "right to speak" includes any right to "speak in debate".  RONR clearly draws a distinction between the two.  

The Board is instructed to allot time for (general) members to be heard.  Allot (verb, to give or apportion) contains an implicit power to limit the amount of time that is allotted.  Thus the Board would have the power to adopt rules limiting, to a reasonable degree, the length of time an individual member may speak, as well as the overall time period or periods during which such members may speak.  But the limits adopted should comport with the intent of the bylaws provision, not attempt to thwart it.

A workable example, adopted by a board on which I served, was to allow thirty-minute periods for comments, with each comment limited to three minutes, unless either limit was extended by majority vote (or unanimous consent).  During each meeting, two such comment periods were scheduled: one at the start of the meeting, and one after the completion of business and before adjournment.  The second period rarely drew any comments at all.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.