The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Extension of chairman's term

Guest Heidi

Presently I am Chairman of a chamber of commerce. Our bylaws state that each officer is board of director and are elected through the course of their term to be voted on as an officer by the board.

Each board member can serve 2 three consecutive terms. My 6th year ends this October. With several transitions that happened at the beginning of the year (firing and hiring of chamber employees) my year as chairman was based on dealing with employee issues and not on the mission of the chamber. Our Vice Chair is willing to step up as Chair but at this time we do not have a succession of a new vice chair or other officers. What the executive board has discussed that I stay on for 1 more year and we build a succession of board members to step up as Executive officers.

My question is can we make a motion to amend our bylaws by making a motion to the board to vote me in for 1 more year as chairman? By doing this it would help our chamber have a smoother transition of employees ( a new director) and ample time to find new board members and to have seasoned board members step up as executive officers.

Thank you 

31 minutes ago, Guest Heidi said:

My question is can we make a motion to amend our bylaws by making a motion to the board to vote me in for 1 more year as chairman?

You'd need to follow whatever your procedure is for amending your bylaws or, if there is none in your bylaws, the RONR requirements. Most likely, the board is not permitted to amend the bylaws, but rather the general membership. That is the default rule in RONR.

8 hours ago, Guest Heidi said:

Presently I am Chairman of a chamber of commerce. Our bylaws state that each officer is board of director and are elected through the course of their term to be voted on as an officer by the board.

Each board member can serve 2 three consecutive terms. My 6th year ends this October. With several transitions that happened at the beginning of the year (firing and hiring of chamber employees) my year as chairman was based on dealing with employee issues and not on the mission of the chamber. Our Vice Chair is willing to step up as Chair but at this time we do not have a succession of a new vice chair or other officers. What the executive board has discussed that I stay on for 1 more year and we build a succession of board members to step up as Executive officers.

My question is can we make a motion to amend our bylaws by making a motion to the board to vote me in for 1 more year as chairman? By doing this it would help our chamber have a smoother transition of employees ( a new director) and ample time to find new board members and to have seasoned board members step up as executive officers.

Thank you 

Does the board vote itself in?  Is there no membership?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.