The Official RONR Q & A Forums

committees

Guest Chris

if organization by-laws stipulate that a committe have one member from another specific committee, who selects that person?

the specific committee or the whole assembly?

Example:

committee 1 has 7 members.

one member must be from committee 2, one member from committee 3, and 5 general members.

committee 2 and 3 are permanent committees.

RONR lists several different methods for appointing members to a committee on pp.492-497. I'd say that any one of those methods can be used to select the members of committees 2 and 3 who shall also be members of committee 1. Those methods include election by the assembly, with nominations by either the assembly or the chair, appointment by the chair, or by naming the members in the motion to establish the committee. Your organization is free to choose which of those methods works best for you.

7 hours ago, Guest Chris said:

Example:

committee 1 has 7 members.

one member must be from committee 2, one member from committee 3, and 5 general members.

committee 2 and 3 are permanent committees.

Building on Mr. Lages and Mr. Brown:  Whoever has the authority to appoint the members of Committee 1 appoints all 7 members. They have to include one member from Committee 2 and one from Committee 3, but it's the decision of the appointing authority.  (assuming that the bylaws only say that the composition of Ctte 1 has to include what you've told us and doesn't say anything else about how they are appointed/chosen).

However, it might save time for the appointing authority of Cmte 1 to consult informally with the other committees to determine who is interested in serving on Cmte 1.  Unless there is a duty to serve if appointed, I doubt the appointing authority could just order someone to double their workload.

Why would this example be any different than Committees 2 and 3? People can be appointed to those committees by the appointing authority without their agreement beforehand.

I agree that your suggestion is a good one from a practical perspective, but I don't see it as necessary from a parliamentary one.

It's not necessary from a parliamentary point of view.  I just suggested it as a possible time-saver.

When I was young, better looking, and a newbie president, I thought that I knew who would love to chair some committees, and presented a list of appointments in the president's report.  I swiftly learned otherwise when one of the appointments started a small firestorm when some toes were perceived to have been stepped on. Nothing parliamentarily wrong with it, but it took two weeks to smooth over.  Filed under Lessons Learned.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.