The Official RONR Q & A Forums
David Schmitz

Can a motion that has been made and passed by a majority vote then be tabled?

Our exercise equipment in our clubhouse needs to be replaced and the HOA board has a motion to purchase a new treadmill and the motion was second and a majority vote has passed to allocate the funds but now several board members have continued to table the item not to purchase. My question is once an item has passed by majority vote, can they continue to block the item from completion?

Thank You

The opposition can move to rescind the vote (2/3 of those present, or majority of entire membership) or to reconsider the vote (if in the same session and someone who originally voted for the motion changes his/her mind)--assuming that the motion has not yet been carried out.

A motion to "table" an adopted main motion is not in order on account of its improper form. There is no such motion to bring an adopted main motion back before the assembly.

3 hours ago, David Schmitz said:

Our exercise equipment in our clubhouse needs to be replaced and the HOA board has a motion to purchase a new treadmill and the motion was second and a majority vote has passed to allocate the funds but now several board members have continued to table the item not to purchase. My question is once an item has passed by majority vote, can they continue to block the item from completion?

Thank You

The motion to Lay on the Table is not in order once the motion has passed.  Those members may believe they have "tabled" it but they have not. 

While there are several parliamentary paths open to those who oppose it (as Transpower has noted),  neither those nor any others I can think of have much chance of success as long as those in opposition continue to be in the minority.  But out of curiosity, if the motion to purchase received a majority, why would a motion to Lay on the Table, even if it were in order, also have majority support?  Having a majority on both sides of an issue does tend to complicate things, but fortunately it is usually impossible.

Edited by Gary Novosielski
minor

@David Schmitz Agreeing with the previous comments, I don't fully understand the situation/question.  I think it will help us if you can clarify what has been done/is being done to delay the purchase.  I think we can all agree, though, that the motion to "lay on the table" (or  "to table") is not  in order now.  There are ways to stop the purchase, but we need to know more about the current situation in order to properly advise you of what those methods are and what vote is required to adopt them.

Edited to add:  In particular, we need to know exactly what you mean by this statement:  " several board members have continued to table the item not to purchase."   Exactly how have several board members been able to "table" the item?

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.