The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can non board members talk at meeting

Guest Jeff Berryhill

Guest Jeff Berryhill

Our HOA abides by Robert's Rules of Order for our board meetings. Over the past 20+ years where I or my wife were on the board we always provided time at the end of our meetings, before the meeting was closed, for those homeowners in attendance and not on the board a time to introduce items of interest they would like to discuss or have the board address. 

With a new set of board members they have taken the position that at our monthly HOA meetings, homeowners in attendance are not given an opportunity to speak. 

They reference RRO but I can not find anything in my copy or searching online where this is forbidden. It certainly is not in our HOA documents. 

Can anyone let me know if there is anything in RRO that would specifically restrict this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Non-members (of the board) do not have any rights under RONR. The board can, by a majority vote, decide to allow non-members to speak in the situation you have described.

It would take a 2/3 vote to let a non-member speak during a debate.

As you are an HOA, you should also check the relevant legislation that covers HOA's in your jurisdiction. That legislation may require such an opportunity.

5 minutes ago, Atul Kapur said:

As you are an HOA, you should also check the relevant legislation that covers HOA's in your jurisdiction. That legislation may require such an opportunity.

I agree.  Such a provision is common in legislation governing homeowner associations.  In addition, be sure to check your bylaws.  They frequently provide for the right of members to attend board meetings and to address the board.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.