The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Manager acting unilaterally

BabbsJohnson

I would not be surprised if the Bylaws or a rule adopted by the Board or General Membership grants the organization's employees the authority to take certain types of actions without having to go to the Board or General Membership for permission.  Directing the lawyer write a letter to someone is likely one of those actions.

2 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

I would not be surprised if the Bylaws or a rule adopted by the Board or General Membership grants the organization's employees the authority to take certain types of actions without having to go to the Board or General Membership for permission.  Directing the lawyer write a letter to someone is likely one of those actions.

And if no such power has been granted?

2 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

Then the employees would probably be seeking authorization from the Board or General Membership to take some sort of action every week if not more often.  Definitely not a feasible long term situation.

I presume, however, that the OP is suggesting that the Manager was not authorized to take these particular actions, not that she isn’t authorized to do anything.

9 hours ago, .oOllXllOo. said:

Recently, it was shown in the minutes of a meeting that a manager present at a meeting, made a request to a hired vendor (the association attorney) to write an admonishing letter to a board member. It is not indicated that the board requested or authorized this action.

i was under the impression that someone like a hired vendor such as a manager, could only do such a thing if directed to do so by the board. 

Assuming the manager is not authorized to take these actions, then I suppose the board will have to resolve this issue, presumably by ratifying the Manager’s actions in this matter (if the board agrees with the manager’s actions), disciplining the manager (if the board does not agree with the manager’s actions), or both (if the board agrees with the manager’s actions, but nonetheless wishes to discipline the manager for exceeding her authority).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.