The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion & second no vote

Guest Cheryl

So we discovered that a motion was made, and seconded. However as the minutes were passed out, we discovered that it was never voted on.

However,  other recommendations were then discussed as the to issue it was Judicial in nature.

So what if anything do we do to correct this? This was in July. 

Cheryl

When is your next meeting?  If it is within a quarterly time period from the July meeting, that motion should come up under unfinished business if it was still pending when the July meeting was adjourned.  Otherwise, the same motion can just be made again - this time make sure that some action is taken, i.e., voted up or down, postponed, or referred to a committee.

Nothing stops you from including this motion in the notice of the special meeting. Special meetings are not limited to only one topic. 

If it won't be in the same quarter, then the motion can be made again as if new (as long as the notice of the special meeting indicated that this motion was going to be moved).

11 hours ago, Atul Kapur said:

Nothing stops you from including this motion in the notice of the special meeting. Special meetings are not limited to only one topic. 

If it won't be in the same quarter, then the motion can be made again as if new (as long as the notice of the special meeting indicated that this motion was going to be moved).

It seems to me that the question as to whether or not the special meeting will be held within a quarterly time interval following adjournment of the July meeting is irrelevant. The applicable rule (I think; I'm not at all sure of the facts) is found in RONR, 11th ed., on page 237, lines 6-15.

4 hours ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

It seems to me that the question as to whether or not the special meeting will be held within a quarterly time interval following adjournment of the July meeting is irrelevant. The applicable rule (I think; I'm not at all sure of the facts) is found in RONR, 11th ed., on page 237, lines 6-15.

I agree. I only mentioned it because Guest Cheryl did, but your response is better than mine.

Edited by Atul Kapur

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.