The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws gags?

Alexis Hunt

32 minutes ago, Guest Watson said:

Learning from the mistakes of others is a great teaching tool. Please educate me. 

In my view, the best way to learn about the proper way to compose bylaws is by reviewing §56. CONTENT AND COMPOSITION OF BYLAWS  beginning on p. 565 in RONR.  If you follow the recommendations there, you'll be miles ahead of the game. The General Discussion forum is overloaded with examples of poorly written bylaws.

Edited by George Mervosh

1)  The "Service Gap":  Page 585, "Section 3" of the sample bylaws.   I'll let you have a go at figuring out the difficulty -- let you know tomorrow if you give up.

2)  The "Logic Bomb":  p. 588, the last two lines of "Article VIII".                              ditto

All right, I'll have to go through in detail for more, but here's the one that made me post this in the first place:

If sixty (60) minutes after the time appointed for the holding of any meeting of owners, a quorum (which shall be the number prescribed by the Act) is not present, the meeting shall be dissolved and shall stand adjourned to such time and place as the board shall determine. Notice of the time, day and place of the convening of such adjourned meeting shall be given not less than ten (10) days prior to the convening of such meeting to each owner or mortgagee entitled to vote thereat. A quorum shall be constituted when persons entitled to vote not less than twenty-five (25%) of the units are present in person or represented by proxy.

Here's what my first read interpretation of this glorious passage says:

1. Nothing exempts a meeting which obtained and subsequently lost quorum from the provisions of the automatic adjournment after one hour, so it seems that quorum-busters could leave at 59 minutes and trigger it. Debatable whether or not this only applies at exactly 60 minutes or whether it would apply later, as well. Would be awkward if a barely-quorate meeting couldn't excuse anyone to go to the washroom without adjourning.
  2. In the event that the automatic adjournment doesn't apply to a meeting that loses quorum after it begins, if the meeting adjourns itself by motion, that's not "such adjourned meeting" and therefore the notice requirements do not apply.
  3. The bylaw claims that quorum contradicts itself by claiming that the quorum is as specified by the Act, while also providing a specific number---the Act in question provides a default but with some variation permitted in the bylaws.
Edited by Alexis Hunt

• 1 month later...

I have a good one

A Student Senator who will not attend the summer academic term, or any portion of the term may nominate a Summer Replacement Senator, subject to confirmation by the Student Senate on the first day of every May.

Page 5, section 4: https://www.sg.ufl.edu/Portals/0/2016 Constitution Finalized.pdf?ver=2017-01-25-140342-633

The issue is that the Senate must confirm the Summer Replacement Senators on May 1st and only on May 1st. Not April 30 or May 2. To make matters morse, classes typically end before May 1.

Edited by mjhmjh

This is the deficiency of my organization's Constitution that is probably easiest to explain:

Any member may present a proposal of a caucus to the Vice President. The proposal must include a statement of purpose, and be signed on by two dues paying members.

Does the proposer count as one of the two required signatories? (Our practice is that the proposer does count. But thank goodness there's never been a dispute about this...yet.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.