The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Runoff election with single canidate

Guest Laurie

Good Evening, 

After an election with two parties not getting majority, it is within our agency bylawys to go into a runoff election with plurality voting. At this time, one canidate withdrew his nomination, so currently there is one canidate running for this position. Would this still be treated as a runoff election (Plurity, with no write ins allowed?) 

My concern is- as long as the candidate recieves one vote he will gain office. How within this situation- would a voting party be able to cast a 'no vote'.  Could this be treated as a special election or anything else, since it truly is not a run off between two parties? 

Our bylaws is vague on this- so our defacto is Robert's Rules. Thank You! 

I know you said one of the candidates "withdrew his nomination" but what exactly does that mean per your rules?  Does that mean that he officially is out of the running for the office (so if anyone voted for him their vote would not be valid)?  In other words, is this REALLY a one person race or if more people voted for this person (withdrawn or not) than the other would he be considered elected (and the members have to hope that he won't then decline the office)?

17 hours ago, Guest Laurie said:

After an election with two parties not getting majority, it is within our agency bylawys to go into a runoff election with plurality voting. At this time, one canidate withdrew his nomination, so currently there is one canidate running for this position. Would this still be treated as a runoff election (Plurity, with no write ins allowed?) 

No.

17 hours ago, Guest Laurie said:

My concern is- as long as the candidate recieves one vote he will gain office. How within this situation- would a voting party be able to cast a 'no vote'.  Could this be treated as a special election or anything else, since it truly is not a run off between two parties? 

No, it is not possible to cast a “no” vote. Unless the bylaws require a ballot vote, it seems to me there is no reason to take a vote in the first place, let alone a runoff vote. Rather, I would say that the chairman should declare the sole candidate elected.

If the members do not wish to elect this person, they would have to vote for someone else.

16 hours ago, Chris Harrison said:

I know you said one of the candidates "withdrew his nomination" but what exactly does that mean per your rules?  Does that mean that he officially is out of the running for the office (so if anyone voted for him their vote would not be valid)?  In other words, is this REALLY a one person race or if more people voted for this person (withdrawn or not) than the other would he be considered elected (and the members have to hope that he won't then decline the office)?

Mr. Harrison, based solely on the rules in RONR, if two members are nominated, the bylaws do not require a ballot vote, and one of the two candidates indicates that he has no desire to serve, do you think the chairman should/must proceed with the election, or should he declare the only willing candidate elected?

I have no disagreement that in the event an election is actually held, votes for any eligible person are credited whether or not that person previously indicated an unwillingness to serve, but it is not clear to me that an election must be held if there is only one person who is actually seeking the office (unless, of course, the bylaws require a ballot vote).

1 hour ago, Josh Martin said:

Mr. Harrison, based solely on the rules in RONR, if two members are nominated, the bylaws do not require a ballot vote, and one of the two candidates indicates that he has no desire to serve, do you think the chairman should/must proceed with the election, or should he declare the only willing candidate elected?

If their Bylaws don't require a ballot vote then yes I agree the Chair should declare the willing candidate elected with no further vote required. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.