The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Important decision/vote before meeting called to order

Lyle Lansdell

9 minutes ago, Lyle Lansdell said:

If an important decision or announcement is made before the meeting is called to order, it is not included in the minutes.  How can the record show an important item outside  the call to order?

Announcements made before the meeting is called to order are considered informal, and would not be included in the minutes.

Decisions, especially important ones, may only be made within the context of a meeting, so the concept of making one before the meeting is called to order does not make a significant amount of sense to me.

2 hours ago, Lyle Lansdell said:

If an important decision or announcement is made before the meeting is called to order, it is not included in the minutes.  How can the record show an important item outside  the call to order?

The record should now not show such an item, since the minutes are a record of what was done at the meeting, and this happened prior to the meeting.

Although I am not clear on how the assembly made a decision outside of a meeting to begin with. There may need to be a Point of Order on this matter at a future meeting, which would be recorded in the minutes.

Edited by Josh Martin
Fixed typo.

2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

The record should now show such an item, since the minutes are a record of what was done at the meeting, and this happened prior to the meeting.

Although I am not clear on how the assembly made a decision outside of a meeting to begin with. There may need to be a Point of Order on this matter at a future meeting, which would be recorded in the minutes.

I think the first sentence meant to say, "The record should not..."

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.