The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest Concerned and Upset

Board Problems

Guest Concerned and Upset

I have Board Problems!

I am a Board Member in a NFP Association.  Our Constitution is supported by Robert's Rules of Order.  Our Board has some governance problems, some financial issues, some legal infractions involved and some Management boundaries that are not being handled properly.  In short, I must say that our Board's DUE DILIGENCE is not very good because some of our Board members have overlooked and dismissed actions or decisions due to Management-friendly support and Board members who act as "pure volunteers."

My concern and upset is that I have logged all of these troubling issues inside a set of documents that provide direct proofs of their existence and occurrence and have listed our Board's non-actions to stop them or even mention them to the instigators.  All of these points have even by-passed our newest Chairman's attention because he is a bit of a softie and a "keep calm and carry on" type of Chairman.  I don't want to blind-side the Chairman but he's avoiding my call for a private meeting.

My questions ... Do I, as a Board Member, present my findings directly to the Chairman privately according to any principles found in Robert's Rules before I go directly to the Board assembly?

Do I, as a Board Member expose this Board's conduct directly to the members so that this 3 1/2 year record of indiscretions is open to the membership for their consideration?

If all else fails do I try to call for an Special General Meeting of the Members?   I'm stuck in limbo and need some help ... PLEASE!

I know that I'm taking a big risk here, but I have served on this association's national administration for over 20 years and its going downhill badly.  Can you direct me on how I should handle this matter or show me the Robert's Rules Articles (or other guidance references) that point me in the direction of propriety?

Thank you for your consideration of my uneasiness.

Concerned and Upset

Guest Zev
6 hours ago, Guest Concerned and Upset said:

Do I, as a Board Member, present my findings directly to the Chairman privately according to any principles found in Robert's Rules before I go directly to the Board assembly?

There are no principles about private meetings in this book.

Do I, as a Board Member expose this Board's conduct directly to the members so that this 3 1/2 year record of indiscretions is open to the membership for their consideration?

The expression "record of indiscretions" is very strong language. You are really throwing down the gauntlet by time you do this.

I'm stuck in limbo and need some help ... PLEASE!

Here is what I would do. With my list in hand I would prepare a series of motions that would rectify each one of the problems identified in the "findings." Then I would just gain the floor at a board meeting and present each motion and if all of them are adopted then the various problems are in the past.

However, if the board is not receptive to any or all of the motions then the possibility exists of gaining the floor at an assembly meeting and presenting the same motion(s) that in your opinion would rectify that problem. Remember that you are trying to get the society in a better place than before and you must avoid confrontational speech or imply accusatory language or anything of a similar nature. You must remain on the "high road" at all costs.

What I think is very positive about your posting is the fact that you have listed the troubling items. The next step are the various motions to fix them. The possibility exists that no one wanted to do anything because they just do not have leadership qualities or are afraid of taking any heat for complicated problems. So, take charge and show these people what you are made of. And good luck.

Do I, as a Board Member, present my findings directly to the Chairman privately according to any principles found in Robert's Rules before I go directly to the Board assembly?

Nothing in RONR requires you approach the Chairman privately with your concerns before bringing it before the assembly.  However, depending on the circumstances it might be advantageous to talk to him first...or maybe not.  It is possible he would be an ally who can work with you to address these issues before publicly airing the Board's dirty laundry (even if it is only in front of the Board itself).  On the other hand, letting him know in advance might allow him time to warn other Board members so they can circle their wagons.  You know the players better than we do.  

Perhaps, but I would think twice, thrice, and then again before doing so because you will invariably make enemies if you publicly air the Board's dirty laundry.

Also, I agree with Guest Zev's advice.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.