The Official RONR Q & A Forums

society requested to form disciplinary review panel

Robert Dingus

We are holding a special society meeting it must be voted on so its 30 days away, in which we have to create a disciplinary review panel, (as a result of Executive session Violations, still ongoing).

(side note the primary individual that violated this rule, has also disclosed this information to the Ohio Attorney Generals complaint department about non profits.

in the event our society does not choose to or wish to create such a panel, to review, and prefer charges or dismiss.

What is our course of action, as the Trustees of this LLC Corporation. (501c3)

Are we dead in the water nothing can happen to this or all individuals.

Thank you for your input

Robert

• Robert Dingus changed the title to society requested to form disciplinary review panel
8 hours ago, Robert Dingus said:

We are holding a special society meeting it must be voted on so its 30 days away, in which we have to create a disciplinary review panel, (as a result of Executive session Violations, still ongoing).

(side note the primary individual that violated this rule, has also disclosed this information to the Ohio Attorney Generals complaint department about non profits.

in the event our society does not choose to or wish to create such a panel, to review, and prefer charges or dismiss.

What is our course of action, as the Trustees of this LLC Corporation. (501c3)

Are we dead in the water nothing can happen to this or all individuals.

Thank you for your input

Robert

I'm not clear what the question is.  You are free to hold the meeting and decide what to do next.  I don't see why you would be dead in the water.

I figured out what to do in this case, if the body or association members do not want to form a Disciplinary review panel.

Our rules have not methodology to chastise or punish those members that abuse, or violate our society rules. (its crazy I know, its been this way for over 50 years)

if the body meaning the members of the association outside of the board, will not form the needed committee, then at that point, we can adjourn the specially called meeting specifically for that purpose, and immediately convene a formal board meeting, (we will include a provision for this in the weeks before the meeting just in case).

And we can form an AD-Hoc committee, from those members present, and move on with the business at hand.

Our fear is, that if the body does not show up (quorum is not met), then we must be prepared to continue, other wise the problem people will get a pass, and just get more aggressive in their violations, etc.

Robert

35 minutes ago, Robert Dingus said:

I figured out what to do in this case, if the body or association members do not want to form a Disciplinary review panel.

Our rules have not methodology to chastise or punish those members that abuse, or violate our society rules. (its crazy I know, its been this way for over 50 years)

if the body meaning the members of the association outside of the board, will not form the needed committee, then at that point, we can adjourn the specially called meeting specifically for that purpose, and immediately convene a formal board meeting, (we will include a provision for this in the weeks before the meeting just in case).

And we can form an AD-Hoc committee, from those members present, and move on with the business at hand.

Our fear is, that if the body does not show up (quorum is not met), then we must be prepared to continue, other wise the problem people will get a pass, and just get more aggressive in their violations, etc.

Based on the facts provided, the procedure you describe is improper. Unless the bylaws provide otherwise (and it appears they do not, since you say your rules have no methodology to punish members), disciplinary authority rests solely with the membership.

Also, if your rules are in fact silent, I would note that there is no “disciplinary review panel” in RONR. The first step in disciplinary procedures is to create an investigative committee.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.