The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion from Officers

Guest Joe C

3 minutes ago, Guest Joe C said:

At a recent meeting one of the officers seconded a motion that was made. A past officer advised that officers can not  make a motion or second a motion because RONR says a motion and second must come from "the floor." Is this correct and where exactly can I find the answer?

It is not correct.

"An office carries with it only the rights necessary for executing the duties of the office, and it does not deprive a member of the society of his rights as a member."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 448

2 hours ago, Guest Joe C said:

At a recent meeting one of the officers seconded a motion that was made. A past officer advised that officers can not  make a motion or second a motion because RONR says a motion and second must come from "the floor." Is this correct and where exactly can I find the answer?

Let me guess...the officers are seated separately from the rest of the members and the area members sit is considered "the floor"?

Holding an office does not give a member any more or any less (fewer?) rights than any other member at a membership meeting.

The board does not attend the meeting as "The Board". If they are all members than they are attending the meeting as individual members.

Edited by Atul Kapur
corrected typo

6 hours ago, Guest Joe C said:

At a general membership meeting, all officers are part of "the floor", with the possible exception of the presiding officer.  They are free to make and second motions as they see fit, presuming that they are actually members of the society.  That's usually true, but exceptions do exist.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.