The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting on motions

Guest TLunney President Ram Work

Guest TLunney President Ram Work

I am president of my condominium association. The 5 member board I inherited things we need to introduce topics for board decisions at one meeting and then vote on them at the next meeting. Robert's Rules of Order is their reference for this. I cannot find this in any of the requirement for introducing  discussion items and voting on them at a later meeting. Is this true or is this something we can decide on as our own board?

2 hours ago, Guest TLunney President Ram Work said:

I am president of my condominium association. The 5 member board I inherited things we need to introduce topics for board decisions at one meeting and then vote on them at the next meeting. Robert's Rules of Order is their reference for this. I cannot find this in any of the requirement for introducing  discussion items and voting on them at a later meeting. Is this true or is this something we can decide on as our own board?

The rule you describe is not found in RONR, and a subordinate board may not adopt a rule of this nature as it conflicts with the parliamentary authority. The society could adopt such a rule.

The board may also choose to postpone particular items on a case by case basis. The motion to postpone is debatable and amendable and requires a majority vote for adoption.

8 hours ago, Guest TLunney President Ram Work said:

Robert's Rules of Order is their reference for this. I cannot find this in any of the requirement for introducing  discussion items and voting on them at a later meeting.

As @jstackpo is fond of advising, give them the book and tell them to show you that rule. They won't be able to, because it isn't there.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:10 AM, Guest TLunney President Ram Work said:

RONR is not their reference for this, because there is no such rule there.  Ask them for a page number.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.