Jump to content
The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Jeff Kelley

Motion to reconsider

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, John Cummings said:

Just wondering if an honorable person waits until the meeting is nearly over and many have left to make the motion to reconsider. It was clearing a smart move by someone that understood RONR, but honorable?  Not so sure.

In the future, note that there is a counter-tactic for this. The motion to Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes takes precedence over the motion to Reconsider. If made, the motion cannot be called up until the next regular meeting or an adjourned meeting. It is designed for precisely this purpose - when a member believes the members currently present are not representative of the membership as a whole. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 332-335.

Edited by Josh Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Zev
7 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

In the future, note that there is a counter-tactic for this.

While this is a true statement, and I had completely forgotten about it (thank you for reminding all of us), given the presiding officer's interpretation of "prevailing" I suspect he would have ruled the motion out of order since the member of the minority were not the faction that "prevailed." Had he a correct interpretation of "prevailing" then none of this would have happened. Surely he could not have ruled that both factions were "prevailing," although we have seen some strange things over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Guest Zev said:

Surely he could not have ruled that both factions were "prevailing," although we have seen some strange things over the years.

In this assembly, everyone's a winner!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guest Zev said:

While this is a true statement, and I had completely forgotten about it (thank you for reminding all of us), given the presiding officer's interpretation of "prevailing" I suspect he would have ruled the motion out of order since the member of the minority were not the faction that "prevailed." Had he a correct interpretation of "prevailing" then none of this would have happened. Surely he could not have ruled that both factions were "prevailing," although we have seen some strange things over the years.

Well, it might still have happened if someone realized that the rules could be suspended to permit a member who did not vote on the prevailing side to move to Reconsider, or that the rules could be suspended to permit a motion which had already been defeated to be renewed during the same session.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...