The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation of Board members via Social Media

Guest Rose

Hello,

I am a fairly new member to our nonprofit's Board of Directors and, I have to admit, know very little yet of the rules and procedures.  We recently had several members including the Chairman suddenly resign.  I am wondering if there is a special protocol to accept resignation from the Chairman?  Also all the resigning members have done so through Facebook Messenger which has been our main mode of communication.  Is this sufficient as a resignation?  The remaining board members met for our monthly meeting last night and voted unanimously to accept the resignations and also voted in a new Chairman.  I am drafting the resignation acceptance letter and plan to have an extra copy for them to sign and send back for our records or do we need to request they send us signed resignation letters themselves?  Any other thoughts on this situation would be greatly appreciated.  

17 minutes ago, Guest Rose said:

I am wondering if there is a special protocol to accept resignation from the Chairman?

No, it’s the same protocol as for accepting any other resignation.

Also all the resigning members have done so through Facebook Messenger which has been our main mode of communication.  Is this sufficient as a resignation?

I see no reason why not, assuming that one of the persons who received these messages was the Secretary or appointing power. Unlike requirements for sending notice, the requirements for submitting a resignation are very broad.

“A resignation is submitted in writing, addressed to the secretary or appointing power; alternatively, it may be submitted during a meeting either orally or in writing.” (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 291)

The remaining board members met for our monthly meeting last night and voted unanimously to accept the resignations and also voted in a new Chairman.  I am drafting the resignation acceptance letter and plan to have an extra copy for them to sign and send back for our records or do we need to request they send us signed resignation letters themselves? 

So far as RONR is concerned, no further action of any kind needs to be taken at this time. The resignations were properly submitted and accepted. It certainly seems courteous to notify the members that their resignations have been accepted, but there is no requirement for a formal “resignation acceptance letter,” let alone for the former members to sign and send back such a letter (or to send their own signed resignation letters).

Edited by Josh Martin

Thank you very much for the information Josh!  I have been trying to do my research as well as reading through our official bylaws, which are pretty basic, to make sure everything is handled correctly.  It was our three most senior members who all resigned at the same time due to personal issues between themselves leaving a much less experienced group behind.  We are excited for the opportunity to rebuild for a better and stronger organisation.  This website has been a helpful tool for me so far!  Wish us luck!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.